close up shot of teared divorce decree and engagement rings on wooden surface

Somerset County Divorce Modification Lawyers

As time passes after an official divorce settlement, the dynamics and needs of a family are likely to change. Both a divorce decree and a settlement agreement are legally binding documents that must be abided by. However, after significant changes, it may become necessary to modify those documents. This can happen due to one parent choosing to move far away, a change in one’s financial status, or when one of the former spouses has not been upholding their end of the agreement. If you’re seeking a modification to your divorce agreement, contact the Somerset County family lawyers at The Law Offices of Kisha M. Hebbon, LLC today.

Divorce Modification Lawyers: Helping Clients Update Divorce Terms

Our Somerset divorce lawyers have experience in creating modifications that best suit the needs of our clients given their current situation. Kisha M. Hebbon has experience creating positive outcomes for her clients in post-divorce modifications in New Jersey. Many of these modifications are subject to a Court hearing. While this may not seem as complex as the original divorce, it can be just as important to have a proper legal presentation to ensure that your rights are represented.

Modifying an Existing Divorce Agreement

In New Jersey, the law requires that those looking to augment their divorce agreement must prove that there has been a significant change in circumstances and that it is necessary to modify the agreement. However, there may be a difference between what you constitute as a significant change and how the eyes of the law may view the issue. Some examples where a modification is likely to be approved in New Jersey include:

  • One spouse relocating a considerable distance away
  • Significant financial shifts such as unemployment or disability that affect alimony payments
  • Parenting plan changes due to the age or circumstance of children
  • Circumstances that influence child custody
  • Payment plan for college tuition and expenses
  • Dramatic increase in either ex-spouse’s finances
  • Emancipation of child
  • Termination of child support

Enforcing Existing Divorce Agreement

For some, there may not need to be new modifications of the divorce settlement, but rather a need for better enforcement of the existing agreement. When one spouse decides not to follow the court order, there may be a need for an enforcement motion. This can include enforcing such things as child support, alimony, equitable distribution, and other key aspects of a divorce agreement. Typically, these cases include:

  • Refusal to pay child support or alimony
  • Refusal to pay college costs
  • Nonpayment of medical expenses for children
  • Refusal to transfer assets
  • Noncompliance with the parenting plan schedule
  • Refusal to provide health or life insurance

In many cases, the separated spouses may be able to find an agreeable solution through mediation. Whether both spouses are on the same page and trying to find a better solution or one spouse is refusing to adhere to court orders, our Somerset divorce lawyers will fight on your behalf to ensure a positive outcome for your family.

Contact Our Divorce Modification Lawyers Today

Each family is different but every family changes over time. Whether your child has reached an age with different needs than when you divorced, or your ex-spouse is refusing to help, our team of Somerset divorce lawyers will advocate for your rights. Contact our seasoned Somerset County family law attorneys today so we can get started working on your case.

Website Designed & Managed by